Saturday, October 01, 2005
A New Breed of Me: Part I of II
Part I: Somewhat Domestic
-New Friday Night Routine: Suddenly Friday Me has morphed into Domestic Me. Last Friday I found myself at Costco in the city. What? I bought the biggest box of Frosted Mini Wheats I've ever seen and a book. So then I went to Cub Foods because a co-worker said they are cheap. As in: I went to a specific grocery store looking for deals. Who am I? Then, I made it my goal- instead of going out, people- to find the first disk of Lost Season One at the two blockbusters within a three block radius. No luck. So then I proceeded to fall asleep on the couch in the middle of a movie. Honestly, if all that isn't domestic, I don't know what is. Probably cooking and cleaning but I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm not sure where this new homebody Friday persona I've adopted has come from. I've come up with a few possibilities:
-All the pleading my liver has been doing has finally gotten through to me
-TLC personally calling me up to thank me for my constant tuning in on Saturdays and Sundays as a direct result of me being so hungover I can't get off the couch
-The harsh realities of viewing my checking account balance online at Bankone.com
-The odd looks from the people who check me in on Saturdays and Sundays at X-Sport Fitness that clearly indicate, "What's she doing here? Shouldn't she be on her couch eating Chipotle?"
Maybe it's a combo of all of the above. But I should probably embrace it and enjoy the time off. (Please note: The spirit of old Friday Me made an appearance last night at Tina's Birthday gathering at Grand Central where I proceeded to get my wristband worth by drinking six Jack and Diet's before midnight)
-Baking: Suddenly people should just call me Betty freaking Crocker. I made the most amazing chocolate chip cookies a few weeks ago for work (Okay, so I had gone home and my mom ended up mixing the ingredients, but I had to make sure I took them out of the oven on time, and that is key). Then, I made those Black Bottom cupcakes for work also. Sigh. Good shit. But this new baking bug has got to go because it's not a part of a healthy lifestyle.
-Rotating Dinners: So we've come up with a new idea to do rotating dinners for fun. We kicked it off last Sunday. I had big plans to cook, which then converted into picking up sandwiches, and next thing I know my roommate and pal had convinced me to order Giordano's. Dammit. But we at least thought of the possibility of preparing a dinner. So that's a step, right?
-Book Club: I think I might as well just be 40 now that I've become a bonafide member/founding father (mother??) of a book club. I'm guessing the meetings will pretty much end up just being a lot of appetizer eating and 2 buck chuck drinking, but, hey, I'll read a book someone tells me to read if it will keep me off the streets. We've got a fabulous first selection: I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe. I've just started it, but so far so good.


